What Do I Need To Make Beer At Home?
If you like beer, chances are you’ve thought about making it yourself. If this sounds like you, then you’re in the right place! In this blog, we’ll cover important steps to getting started as a home brewer, including:
- What equipment you’ll need in a beer making kit
- How to easily get the right mix of ingredients
- An overview of the steps for home brewing
Can I Brew My Own Beer at Home?
You can absolutely make your own beer at home, and doing so is an accessible, affordable, and legal hobby in all 50 states. The home brewing hobby is growing with a great community and plenty of events. As a member, you’ll have the chance to participate in classes, competitions, festivals, and more!
What Does It Take To Brew Beer at Home?
Before getting started brewing beer at home, you’ll want to make sure you have a few things like enough space, the right equipment, and more. Use the following checklist as a starting point:
- Be of Legal Drinking Age: To make your own beer at home, you must be legally able to consume it first. Not sure exactly what the home brewing laws are in your state? Visit the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) website.
- Space: You’ll need space on your stove for a large pot, somewhere to set your beer to ferment, and a safe spot to store your bottled beer.
- Beer Brewing Gadgets: The equipment needed to brew beer at home includes:
- Brew Kettle or Pot
- Heat Source
- Cleaning and Sanitizing Supplies
- Bottle Capper and Bottle Caps
- Beer Bottles
- Bottling Bucket or Bottle Filler
- Everyday Kitchen Supplies: You probably have these in your kitchen already!
- Stirring Spoon
- Measuring Cup
- Ingredients: Great-tasting beer starts with the right mix of ingredients. Beer ingredient kits come with many of the ingredients you need in the perfect portions.
- Priming Sugar
- A Thirst To Quench: Grab some friends and family to enjoy your hard work with you!
What Are the 10 Steps of the Beer Brewing Process?
The brewing process is split up into two days (with some waiting time in between)—the brewing day (or the day you are making beer) and the bottling day (or the day you pour your delicious beer into the bottles). Here are the ten steps for how to make beer at home easy:
- Set up equipment.
- Gather ingredients.
- Sanitize everything.
- Boil ingredients.
- Cool and ferment the wort.
- Sanitize everything.
- Transfer the finished beer to the bottling container.
- Begin filling bottles.
- Cap and store bottles.
- Share your homemade brew.
To learn more about the brewing process and how to make beer at home step-by-step, sign up for one of our classes! Our beer ingredient kits also come with detailed recipes and instructions to set you up for success.
What Is the Easiest Way To Make Beer at Home?
The easiest way to start home brewing for beginners is with a kit. Beer ingredient kits save new and experienced hobbyists time and money because:
- They contain ingredients in the exact portions you need.
- They contain helpful recipes to guide you through the brewing and fermenting process.
Take a look inside our All Saints Irish Red Ale Extract Beer Kit, for example. You’ll find the following list of ingredients:
- 5.0 lbs. Briess Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract
- 1.0 lb. Vienna Malt
- 1.0 lb. Flaked Maize
- 0.50 lbs. Simpson’s Medium Crystal Malt
- 0.25 lbs. Roasted Barley
- 2.0 oz. Fuggle Hops
That’s quite the grocery list to track down, especially if you’re not sure how much of each ingredient to get. You’ll also find helpful guidance for things like:
- Expected alcohol by volume (ABV)
- Boiling time and temperature
- Primary and secondary fermentation steps
- Extra tips for success
Part of the fun of making your own beer is trying out different flavors. Our beer ingredient kits help you explore a wide variety of brews while providing guidance on how to get the best results.
How Much Does a Home Beer Brewing Kit Cost?
The cost of a home beer brewing kit depends on the ingredients it includes, the type of beer it makes, and how much beer it makes. To get an idea of how much using beer brewing kits will cost, explore some of our differently priced options:
1 Gallon Beer Kits
- Brewer’s Best One Gallon American Classic Kit
- Brewer’s Best One Gallon Hazy IPA Kit
- Brewer’s Best 1 Gallon Brewing Starting Kit
5 Gallon Beer Kits
Can You Make Beer Without a Kit?
You can certainly make beer without an ingredients kit; it will just take longer to gather your ingredients, and it leaves more room for error. However, just like with chefs, experienced brewers may want to get more creative and come up with their own recipes. That being said, we highly recommend that beginners start with a kit to gain experience in an enjoyable way.
How Great Fermentations Can Help
Great Fermentations is where to start your search for the best home beer brewing kit no matter your favorite beer style. Why? Because we have a wide selection of beginner-friendly kits that will help you get to brewing—not pacing back and forth in the grocery aisle. With an extensive variety of beer recipes for all-grain brewing, extract brewing, and more, we have everything you need to begin brewing homemade beer! Explore our Indianapolis location or online shop, or give us a call—we’d love to help you!